As a parent, I say the word "no" a lot. More than I want to, in fact.
Sometimes I feel like a broken record. "No, no, no... No, you cannot have chocolate milk before bed... No, you cannot have another piece of candy... No, we can't go to the park today... No, no, NO! I said NO!"
I also hear myself saying, "No means no." Although I think Kaylyn thinks "no" means, "Ask again and Mommy will probably give in. If she doesn't, just start crying and that ought to do it."
Tonight we were in the bathroom having our bath, and Kaylyn grabbed a handful of bubbles and got ready to blow them at me. "NO Kaylyn, do not blow those at me." 2 seconds later, the bubbles were in my face.
Mommy: "Kaylyn! I said NO, don't do that! Why don't you listen? What does NO mean?"
Kaylyn: "Ummmmm....happiness??"
No. "No" does not mean "happiness." Although there are lots of time when I wish it did.
No comments:
Post a Comment