Today was Jackson's 18-month check up. Yes, we were a couple weeks late in doing this, but we were on vacation on his official 18-month "birthday" and then his doctor was booked all last week. But better late than never, right?
So he is 30 lbs 2 oz, which puts him in the 91st percentile for his age. He is 35 inches tall, which puts him in the 98th percentile in height for his age. All around he is healthy and developing just fine.
So then came the not-so-fun part -- the shots. He had 2 -- well, should have been 2 but turned into 3 -- shots, Hepatitis A and Hib.
This is not to offend anyone who is a nurse, but can't they practice on something else OTHER than a baby?!?
The gal was a "nurse in training" (so pissed because I LOVED our nurse and I really hope she was just off today and didn't leave) so there was another nurse in there with her to "watch."
My first clue that it wasn't going to go well was that she had to ASK the other nurse how to do it. I asked her if this was her first time and she nervously said, "Oh no...I just like to get other people's opinions on how to best do it." Uh huh.
So she put the 1st shot in his leg just fine. Jack cried a little but not too bad. The 2nd shot she didn't have a good enough grip on his leg, so he jerked when she poked him and she didn't give him the shot, but he still got the poke!
On the second attempt the other nurse held him down while she did the shot over, all the while he's crying hysterically in my arms. OMG!!!! I wanted to wring her neck! There was blood EVERYWHERE, all over the table, on his sock, we went through 2 band-aids before we could get one to stick on his leg.
Now he has a big bruise where the 2 pokes are on his one leg. The other leg where there was just the 1 shot looks fine, thankfully, so hopefully he only has one sore side and not two.
So that is the LAST time I let anyone use my child as a guinea pig/pin cushion. I will either request another nurse or come back when someone experienced is working. I'll gladly let them practice on ME as many times as they want before I'll let them do that to my kid again!
Yeah I made the mistake of letting someone in training "diagnose" me once. She said I didn't have bronchitis, which I knew I DID and would not give me anything for it...four days later I called them back yelling, they gave me the antiobiotics and within two days it cleared up. Always ask for a "real" practioner. Poor Jackie.
ReplyDeleteOh honey, that's awful!
ReplyDeleteOh no, I would've been so pissed! Crossing my fingers that the regular nurse is there for him next time.
ReplyDelete