Saturday, March 6, 2010

Jackson's 2-year wellness exam

Thought I'd give an update on how Jack's 2-year appointment went with his new pediatrician.

First off -- I LOVE his new doctor! We switched to new a insurance at the start of the year -- Group Health -- and I must say I have been extremely impressed with every doctor and nurse we have seen. (I myself have seen a PAC when I broke my toe, my own physician for my insomnia, a specialist and a occupational therapist for my wrist, as well had 2 x-rays taken...)

Jack and Kaylyn have always just seen our family doctor, and so it's really great to have them seeing a pediatrician now -- and a doctor who has his own kids and really understands how kids think.

Jack has never been too thrilled going to the doctor. And when I say he's not thrilled, I mean he throws the most awful tantrum, and there is no way to console him at all. This appointment was no different -- he screamed and said "Mama...Go...Mama...Go" the entire time. When we left the appointment the doctor said, "You have a very difficult child. I'm really impressed with how you handle him..."

So while Jack is physically doing great, the doctor did confirm a suspicion that I've had for a while. He said that while Jack's "receptive" language is fine, his "expressive" abilities are delayed. Basically what that means is he understands what we say, but his verbal language is just a little behind where it should be.

He does know a lot of words, he just doesn't put 2 or 3 words together yet. Also, his words don't sound like they should, and he's leaving off syllables. So we are going to have a speech evaluation appointment on March 23. We should know where we need to go from there.

On another note...Jack used the potty for the first time today! In fact he used it twice. And now he's obsessed with it and just wants to sit on the toilet all the time. Guess I need to get some books in there for him. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment